THEATRE 29 SETS AUDITIONS FOR “THE ODD COUPLE”
Theatre 29 is thrilled to announce auditions for one of the most iconic comedies of modern American theater – Neil Simon’s The Odd Couple. It’s a match made in mayhem as two men, Oscar the divorced slob and Felix the neurotic neat-freak, decide to room together after Felix’s wife kicks him out of the house. Hilarity ensues as the two men test each other’s sanity, but despite their difficulty living together, ultimately, they both learn the value of their friendship.
Auditions will be held at Theatre 29, 73637 Sullivan Rd., on November 27th from 6:30 P.M. to roughly 9:00 P.M. Director Katie Fleischman, with assistant director Lisa Goldberg, are looking to cast eight performers, and all roles will be open for audition:
· Oscar Madison (30s-50s) – A slovenly, recently divorced sportswriter. Somewhat oblivious, but overall good-natured.
· Felix Ungar (30s-50s) – A fastidious, hypochondriac news-writer whose marriage has recently ended. A bit fussy and neurotic.
· Speed (20s-60s)– One of the poker buddies. Gruff and sarcastic, often picking on the other members of the poker group.
· Murray (20s-60s)– NYPD police officer and one of the poker buddies
· Roy (20s-60s)– Oscar’s accountant and one of the poker buddies. Has a dry wit.
· Vinnie (20s-60s)– One of the poker buddies. Mild-mannered a bit of an easy target for the others to pick on.
· Gwendolyn Pigeon (30s) – Cecily’s sister and one of Oscar’s neighbors. Giggly and charming. Must speak with a British accent.
· Cecily Pigeon (30s) – Gwendolyn’s sister. A divorcee and one of Oscar’s neighbors. Giggly and charming. Must speak with a British accent.
The play is set in New York City, and some characters will be asked to use New York dialects.
In addition to cold-reading sides from the play, those auditioning will be asked to deliver a monologue of their own choosing. Monologues should be roughly a minute long and delivered from memory. Some monologues will be available for cold-reading at the night of the audition, but it is preferred that you perform your own from memory.
Rehearsals will run weeknights from November 28th to January 18th; however, there will be no rehearsals on the week of December 25th-29th in observance of the winter holidays. Performances will be weekends from January 19th-February 4th, Fridays and Saturdays at 7:00 P.M. and Sundays at 2:30 P.M.
Tickets for all performances (except opening night gala) are available for purchase now at www.theatre29.org, by calling the Box Office at 760-361-4151, tickets can also be purchased via the Walletini app available through Google Play and I-Tunes App Store, through the “Buy Ticket” button on Theatre 29’s Facebook page or by scanning the QR code embedded on show posters at businesses across the City of Twentynine Palms.
Tickets are $15.00 Regular, $12.00 Seniors and Military, and $8.00 for Students with ID or children under 12. THE ODD COUPLE is appropriate for most audiences (Some light language and very mild adult situations).
Theatre 29 is an all-volunteer, non-profit 501(c)3 Community Theater organization.